Mahavira Hall

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Delhi Metro


Here it comes…there is something worse than the Beijing metro!  No, I wouldn't have believed it either.  And yet, after getting bodily shoved and whacked in the head about 4 times in the span of 5 minutes on a Delhi metro train, I believe it.  They pack in just as tightly as in Beijing, which doesn't bother me anymore, but somehow the way they do it is worse.  There is an element of panic when getting on and off that isn't there in Beijing, which leads to wild shoving, flailing of arms, and absolute non-discrimination for who gets hurt.  I'd never thought about it, but it now seems to me that Chinese people shove at waste or mid-torso level, whereas Indian people shove at chest or shoulder level, which is more unbalancing and more dangerous I think.  Also, they absolutely don't move when you want to get off.  Even people who rushed on before you in China and plant themselves in front of you will wiggle or try to turn sideways if you say 'Xia che' (getting off the train) or start moving for the door - but not in India.  They just stand there, and we almost couldn't get off the metro a couple of times; once I had to reach in and pull Max from the outside, and once on a train, I had to use my suitcase as leverage to clear a path for myself.  (some people vocally didn't like that…oh well, I didn't like that i couldn't get off!)  So I think I actually prefer the Beijing metro, who thought I'd ever say that!

No comments:

Post a Comment