Mahavira Hall

Thursday, February 3, 2011

As Beautiful as Rumored

Max and I have just finished our second day of our tour in Rajasthan, a part of northeast India east of Delhi.  We actually started in another region called Uttar Pradesh and went to Agra, the town with the Taj Mahal.  I don't have pictures uploaded yet to show you, but I wanted to share that it really is as beautiful as everyone says, possibly the most beautiful building I have ever seen.  The gardens and gates into the complex are grand but not overwhelming, there are fountains and flowers and greenspace, and actually not that many tourists (maybe my concept of 'many tourists' is skewed by living in Beijing!).  The building itself was pristine white marble, with lovely scalloping on the ceiling of the arches.  There are inlaid semi-precious gems of every color all over the inside and intricate carving in the marble everywhere.  The tombs were solemn without being depressing, and everything has perfect symmetry. There is also a few of the 2nd sacred river in India, the Yamuna, from the back of the Taj.  I didn't want to leave!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment