Mahavira Hall

Friday, July 8, 2011

Trip Back

Unfortunately due to the scholarship having paid for my original plane ticket, I had to fly back to China before leaving for the US.  I left France on June 14th, arrived back in China the 15th, and left again for the US on the 16th!  Craziness!  I arrived back at my apartment in Beijing around 12 noon on the 15th, and after sweating through my clothes on the short walk from the bus stop to my apartment, was glad that I will not be around for the worst of the humid Beijing summer!  I got dumplings from my local dumpling shop for lunch, and spent the afternoon cleaning my apartment and repacking my stuff.

In the late afternoon, I headed over to the massage place I had previously been to with my friend Hao and got a full body massage as a late birthday present to myself.  It was fantastic and I know I won't be having any $24-1hour massages anytime soon!  After that, I met Hao and Unench, another friend from lab, at a ramen noodle restaurant for dinner, followed by a dessert place.  It was a great opportunity to see the best of my Chinese friends and have some of my favorite food for the last time before leaving.  It was pouring down rain all evening, again, I don't think I'm missing much in Beijing in the summer!

The next day, I crawled out of bed at 3 am and did a last check around the apartment before my landlord came to take me and my stuff to the airport.  It was super nice of him to do that, and he gave me back my deposit at the same time.  (In Chinese yuan, which I thought would be a problem, but turns out you can deposit RMB in a Bank of America checking account for no fee, woohoo!).  I was at the airport a little early but managed to use one of the scales and get all my suitcases to be the proper weight before checking in.  And then I slept the entire flight to Chicago!

No comments:

Post a Comment