Mahavira Hall

Saturday, July 9, 2011

Chicago to Lexington

My last spoken Chinese was not actually in China, but in the Chicago airport.  There was a family of Chinese from my plane who really could not figure out where to go to make their connecting flight, and I was able to tell them to get on the inter-terminal train, and then when to get off.  I'm sure it was pidgin Chinese but it worked!  And that is probably the last time i'll say anything informative to anyone in Chinese!

I actually had an 8-hour layover in Chicago, so I went into town to meet up with some of my friends from med school who are just starting residency programs there.  My experience on the metro was enlightening…no one talked…there were TONS of empty seats…there was blue sky outside…and english road signs.  Incredible!  I had a fantastic lunch with Kara and Marlon and headed back to the airport to make my flight to Lexington.  And who should meet me there but my entire family with flowers and a balloon!  Even my brother came into town as a surprise that night from Virginia, where he lives, and my grandparents arrived the next day.  It was nice to see everyone again and helped me gloss over the culture shock since I basically spent the first week at home with close relatives.

No comments:

Post a Comment