Mahavira Hall

Monday, May 30, 2011

First Aid at Castelo de Sao Jorge


Actually, when I went to the castle, I had more of an adventure than just seeing an awesome view.  I was sitting on an ancient wall shortly after walking up the hill to the castle, drinking in the view, when I heard a clatter behind me. I turned around to see a man lying prone on the cobblestones, bleeding from his head.  I and a French couple rushed over, and it was a good thing they were there, because he didn't understand English or French, (and I didnt even try my limited Chinese!) and seemed to be really dazed.  The French lady spoke Portuguese, and we managed to get some tissues pressed to his forehead to stop the bleeding and gave him some water.  The French lady went for help, and soon everything was back to normal again, but it made me eager to get back to school and get my ACLS training - what if the fall had been worse and he wasn't breathing or something?  I am not sure I would have reacted appropriately - hopefully after my Emergency Medicine rotation in July I will be more prepared.

No comments:

Post a Comment