Mahavira Hall

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Mystery Fruit

Its been a while since I posted about exotic fruit; sadly my trips to the grocery store have gotten more mundane and less amazed as I have adjusted to many of the strange sights and smells.  Actually I don't think I've actually posted pictures from the Carrefour here, which I will try to do sometime before I leave. Anyway, on my last grocery trip I stumbled on this mystery fruit which I just had to try due to my never having had it before.  I got lucky with durian and dragon fruit, why not this?

Here it is before cutting it open:



And here it is open:



The consistency was a mix between an apple and a pear, and the taste was somewhere in there too.  The white flesh on the inside was fairly sweet but I made the mistake of taking a nibble of the green on the outside, and it was very bitter.  I actually had a bad taste in my mouth for about an hour after eating!  I still don't know what it is, anyone know??

4 comments:

  1. I have no clue! Thats a new one for me...

    ReplyDelete
  2. the case of the mystery fruit...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I asked a Chinese friend who was also stumped (and she is from Beijing). She looked it up and thinks it is a "pineapple shi jia." Check out the link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Pineapple_shijia.jpg

    ReplyDelete