Mahavira Hall

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Happy New Year!

Chinese New Year is just around the corner -- New Year's Eve is Wednesday, Feb 2 -- and people all over Beijing are beginning to celebrate.  While officially Sunday is the last day of work (a make-up day for the holiday) many students and other employees have already left the city to travel home for the holiday.  Decorations are going up all over the city, including my apartment building's lobby:


People are selling cheap decorations all over on the street, and there are random bursts of fireworks every night.  I can't imagine what it will be like on New Year's Eve, as the Chinese seem to love 1) color and 2) noise, and fireworks were invented here and are all made here!  It must be crazy!

Also, the government seems to be putting out more 'news' than usual about China's wealth and might - check out this link for a hilarious 'oops' on (inter)national television: http://gizmodo.com/5745307/did-china-try-to-pass-off-top-gun-as-air-force-footage

Unfortunately, I will not be here to usher in the new year, as I'm heading off to India tonight for a 2-week vacation.  I have always wanted to travel to India, and I am much much closer than I am from home, plus the tickets are much cheaper!  I will be traveling with Max, my boyfriend, and we will see parts of north-central India including the capital, New Delhi, and the Taj Mahal in Agra.  I will try to post occasionally but no guarantees as I've no idea about the internet/electricity status where I am going.  So if you don't hear from me soon, no worries, I will post many stories upon my return!

Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment