Mahavira Hall

Friday, October 29, 2010

Aubree Returns to China, Part 1

My friend Aubree (whom many know as Spryte because we met at Girl Scout camp with fun camp-names) lived in China for two years right after college, in a town called Yidu in Hubei Province.  I am actually on an overnight train right now on my way to see her there, although this post won't go up until I reach her and have internet access again.  She came to Beijing for a few days to see where I live now, and then traveled to Yidu a few days ahead of me due to my lab trip to Shanxi Province.  

She arrived on last Saturday night, so on Sunday we had a day together to explore.  We decided to go to the zoo to see the pandas.  I had heard that the zoo was not worth my time, and after going, I would also give it a 1-star rating.  The living conditions of many of the animals were deplorable, tiny cages the size of my bedroom for large tigers, etc, and many people were not very respectful of the animals, banging on cages, feeding them bread and sausage, and being very noisy.  The amphibian house was actually an exhibit of dead snakes, which it took us a while to realize since all the signs were in Chinese!  The whole zoo was a bit depressing actually and we left before seeing all the exhibits.

However, the pandas were pretty cool to see, and they, perhaps because of their fame around the world, had plenty of space and care.  My boss here, Dr. Qiao, warned me that they would be sleeping and boring, and most of them were in fact snoozing away, but a few were active and now I can say I've seen one!

After the zoo, we discovered a cool market across the street and had one of the many confusions which happen in China, involving dinner being at a restaurant of which there were two branches (unbeknownst to us) both of which are near Holiday Inns but across town from each other.  One of our group accidentally ended up across town and then the one the rest of us were at ended up having closes last year and was no longer there!  Oops!  

 We also went to the pearl market, where Aubree knew one of the vendors through a girl who lived in China with her.  Thanks to that 'relationship' we managed to get a great deal on some pearls - real pearl necklaces for $10!  The power of the relationship in bargaining was amazing to see; for a foreigner without a claim on a relationship like that would have faced starting prices of $100 or more for the same necklace; for us, the lady started at about $20.  And she even threw in two free pairs of earrings and a bracelet for good measure!  I think I will definitely be going back to see her sometime this year - any orders?

No comments:

Post a Comment